Hello out there kiddos. In the lead up to this year’s Christmas mix I thought I would dig all of the previous mixes up and re-post them for all those who haven’t heard them. Some mixes are made for those who can enjoy some blue humor and wildly untraditional music, and other are designed to be played for the entire family (if anything just to avoid hearing our parents Michael Buble cd’s). Also, in the spirit of December fun I have included a couple Christmas “Stories” as well.
These mixes are made every year in an attempt to keep holiday music from being too dull or trite, but while still trying to maintain the Christmas aesthetic or “spirit”. Each year’s mixes have had their own particular feeling, but they have all still fit quite well into my season. I hope they are useful throughout your holidays, and I hope you find some happy surprises while listening.
Christmas is a raging cultural animal and most working American musicians have made their own interpretation of this time of year, be it religious, funny, heartbreaking, offensive, bizarre, or just amazing. Sorting through thousands of variations on the same root theme each year has become an annual sociological roller coaster that always leaves me feeling fulfilled and my December activites are better for it. I hope you feel the same. Enjoy the music & Happy Holidays.
ALSO, YOU CAN FIND US ON FACEBOOK NOW. WE ARE RELEASING OUR FAVORITE HOLIDAY MUSIC THROUGHOUT THE MONTH. FIND US AND LIKE US: www.facebook.com/productionforuse
PFU #00: CHRISTMAS 2007
- NORAD – Santa Promotional Spot
- Sufjan Stevens – Hey Guys! It’s Christmas Time!
- Ike & Tina Turner – Merry Christmas Baby
- Bey Ireland – All I Want For Christmas is A Go-Go Girl
- Jack Scott – There’s Trouble Brewin’
- Run DMC/Clarence Carter – Christmas In Hollis/Back Door Santa (Mix by DJ Riko)
- Smokey Robinson and The Miracles – Let It Snow!
- The White Stripes – Candy Cane Children
- Unknown – Christmas Tumor
- Elvis Presley – Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me
- Clyde Lasley & The Cadillac Baby Specials – Santa Came Home Drunk
- Johnny Cash – It’s Not Cool To Kill On Christmas
- Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians of The British Empire – Pete Townsend’s Christmas
- Marvin Gaye – Purple Snowflakes
- Pizzicato Five – Snowflakes
- Luna – Egg Nog
- Kay Martin & Her Bodyguards – Up Your Chimney
- The Raveonettes – The Christmas Song
- Proxy – Sugarplum Jeans
- Vince Guaraldi Trio – Skating
- The Manhattans – Alone On New Year’s Eve
- Loretta Lynn – I Won’t Decorate Your Christmas Tree
- Carla Thomas – Gee Whiz, It’s Christmas
- The Maytals – Happy Christmas
- The Rolling Stones – Winter
- Starflyer 59 – I’ll Be Home For Christmas
William S. Burroughs & Kurt Cobain – The Priest They Called Him (A Junkie’s Christmas)