Welcome. This is my Music Blog. Since the prestigious Internet is so saturated with these things I had to select a concept that I thought was fitting considering what I have to offer. I wanted more than random 1-4 track leaks and I’m not suited to handle a dangerously hyper-focused (and wonderful) dorkout blog so I picked something that fit comfortably in the middle.
The aim of this blog is to give you a mix at least once every week. A small collection of songs with a central purpose, but not just a theme. I’ve found that 24 songs about water or visible panty lines don’t really have much of a practical use. The topic usually gets pretty tired by song 10 or 11, particularly without some sort of commentary. The mixes here will be soundtracks suited to real life situations so that when in those situations they (hopefully) will be a top notch companion. Each mix will fit onto a regular blank CD and occasionally will have printable artwork and track listings.
I’m starting with Christmas because I’m a Christmas freak and I thought there should be more mixes out there for people who probably hate most Christmas music. This is essentially a soft opening of the blog to work out any kinks, take suggestions on the format, and gear up for the first polished Production for Use mix in January. I’m including last year’s Christmas mix just to have some good kickoff swag. Download them both. I’ve added two Christmas stories this year. Enjoy the holiday music, please give me feedback or questions, and enjoy the end of 2008.
***ALL MIXES & STORIES HAVE BEEN REPOSTED WITH FRESH LINKS***
NOTE: I’m not trying to just give away songs. If ANY band does not want their work available through this blog, PLEASE tell me and I will repost the mix without it. Upon request I will provide ways to purchase any of the albums that these songs originally appear. If you like these artists, buy their albums, and more importantly: Go to Their Shows and Buy Their Merchandise.
PRODUCTION FOR USE MIX: #00/#000
USE: Enjoying the Holidays without enduring Mannheim Steamroller.
- Steve Carell – The Countdown
- The Soul Saints Orchestra – Santa’s Got A Bag Of Soul
- Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians of the British Empire – Mistletoe
- Jacques Dutronc – La Fille Du Pere Noel
- Caribou – The Snow Capes
- Lightnin’ Hopkins – Santa
- The Fireflies – X-Mas Song
- Kay Martin & Her Bodygaurds – I Want A Casting Couch For Christmas
- Reuben Anderson – Christmas Time Again
- The Soulful Strings – Merry Christmas Baby
- Diplo – When Eggnog Goes Bad
- Mahalia Jackson – Christmas Comes To Us All Once A Year
- Ringo Starr – C’mon Christmas
- John Coltrane – Greensleeves
- Donny Burns – Cool Yule
- Daniele et Michele – L’hiver
- Margo Guryan – I Don’t Intend To Spend Christmas Without You
- Hot Lava – X-Mass Wii
- Chuck Berry – Merry Christmas Baby
- The Purse Snatchers – Christmas Lights
- Jackie Gleason & His Orchestra – It’s Christmas Time All Over The World
- Ernest Tubb – Happy Texas Christmas You All!
- The Walkmen – New Year’s Eve
- The Black On White Affair – Auld Lang Syne
- Donovan – New Year’s Resolutions
David Sedaris – Six to Eight Black Men
- NORAD – Santa Promotional Spot
- Sufjan Stevens – Hey Guys! It’s Christmas Time!
- Ike & Tina Turner – Merry Christmas Baby
- Bey Ireland – All I Want For Christmas is A Go-Go Girl
- Jack Scott – There’s Trouble Brewin’
- Run DMC/Clarence Carter – Christmas In Hollis/Back Door Santa (Mix by DJ Riko)
- Smokey Robinson and The Miracles – Let It Snow!
- The White Stripes – Candy Cane Children
- Unknown – Christmas Tumor
- Elvis Presley – Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me
- Clyde Lasley & The Cadillac Baby Specials – Santa Came Home Drunk
- Johnny Cash – It’s Not Cool To Kill On Christmas
- Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians of The British Empire – Pete Townsend’s Christmas
- Marvin Gaye – Purple Snowflakes
- Pizzicato Five – Snowflakes
- Luna – Egg Nog
- Kay Martin & Her Bodyguards – Up Your Chimney
- The Raveonettes – The Christmas Song
- Proxy – Sugarplum Jeans
- Vince Guaraldi Trio – Skating
- The Manhattans – Alone On New Year’s Eve
- Loretta Lynn – I Won’t Decorate Your Christmas Tree
- Carla Thomas – Gee Whiz, It’s Christmas
- The Maytals – Happy Christmas
- The Rolling Stones – Winter
- Starflyer 59 – I’ll Be Home For Christmas
William S. Burroughs & Kurt Cobain – The Priest They Called Him (A Junkie’s Christmas)